Lost Wages Assistance Program
Mississippi's application for a FEMA grant under the Lost Wages Assistance Program has been approved. Mississippians who are unemployed or partially unemployed due to COVID-19 and are currently receiving a weekly unemployment benefit amount of $100 or more from one of the following programs will be eligible to receive an additional $300 a week in the LWA FEMA program:
• Unemployment Insurance (UI)
• Unemployment Compensation for Federal Employees (UCFE)
• Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers (UCX)
• Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation (PEUC)
• Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA)
• Extended Benefits (EB)
• Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA)
• Self-Employment Assistance (SEA)
Claimants do not need to file a separate application to receive LWA. The Mississippi Department of Employment Security (MDES) will make the LWA payments in the same manner as any payment from one of the above-listed programs payable for the week involved for all participating claimants.
The $300 LWA payment is subject to both federal and state income taxes.
MDES will implement the program and funds will be available within three to four weeks.
Click here for information about LWA Program.