top of page

Suspect still at large after Thursday afternoon pursuit near Exit 6 area

A suspect wanted for multiple charges is still at large as of noon on Friday according to Picayune Police Department Assistant Chief Jeremy Magri. Magri said law enforcement agencies are in the process of trying to find Marc Wayne Rice, age 22, of 13 Diamond Lane, Picayune, after Rice was able to elude authorities on Thursday (November 8th) at around 5:00 p.m.

Rice was wanted by the Pearl River County Sheriff’s Office (PRCSO) on felony indictments for Grand Larceny and Possession of a Weapon by a Convicted Felon at the time he was spotted on Thursday afternoon.

According to Magri, the Picayune Police Department received information that Rice was traveling northbound on Interstate 59 in a white 2003 Mitsubishi Montereo Sport with a Mississippi license plate. A Picayune Police Officer arrived in the area and stopped on the side of the interstate. Moments later, the officer observed the vehicle matching the description passing by and the officer got behind the vehicle in his patrol car and was able to confirm the license plate number matched the vehicle in the alert on Rice.

The officer continued to follow the vehicle driven by Rice while waiting for backup units to arrive. The vehicle exited the interstate at Exit 6 and turned right on Sycamore Road. At this time, backup units were very close, so the officer attempted to conduct a traffic stop at which time Rice began to accelerate the vehicle at a high rate of speed fleeing from the office in pursuit. Rice began passing vehicles and in so doing, forced oncoming traffic to veer onto the shoulder of the roadway. Rice applied the brakes on the vehicle to the point that they locked up as he made a left hand turn onto Entrekin Road. At this time, the officer was able to get a good look at the driver and was able to verify it was Rice.

Magri said the vehicle continued northbound on Entrekin Road at a high rate of speed and then made an abrupt right turn onto Fleming Road and entered the property of Fleming Auto Salvage driving through the scrap yard before returning back onto Fleming Road a second time headed back toward Entrekin Road. At this time, Rice encountered three additional law enforcement units who attempted to stop Rice. One of the officers was forced to move to the side out of the way of the path of Rice’s vehicle in attempt to avoid a motor accident.

Rice turned right on Entrekin Road where he returned this vehicle to a high rate of speed and headed northbound toward the intersection of Michelle Road as he continued in his attempt to flee the officers in pursuit. Rice turned left on Michelle Road and did not negotiate the right turn onto Alan Road and went straight into the yard of the residence at the corner of Alan Road and Michelle Road and continued for approximately a quarter mile in a field eventually coming to a stop at a wood line. At this time, Rice exited the vehicle and fled south into the wood line.

Rough drawing of the path the pursuit of Marc Rice took on Thursday

Magri said officers setup a perimeter in the area of Alan Road and also set up a perimeter on the interstate by the rest area. PRCSO arrived and attempted to track Rice with a canine unit. After approximately one hour, law enforcement called off the search for Rice after they were unable to locate Rice.

The Picayune Police Department signed charges against Rice for Reckless Driving, Failure to Stop for Blue Lights and Sirens, and Felony Fleeing.

Assistant Chief Magri said he wanted to thank Constable Jason Hunt and the PRCSO for their assistance in the pursuit and hunt for Rice.

Magri also wants to note that citizens made posts on social media that there was a shooting around the Paul’s Pastry area and that while officers were pursuing Rice that Rice was shooting at officers. Magri said that none of that is true and his account of the pursuit is actually what occurred. No shots were fired.


bottom of page