top of page

Picayune man found dead; investigation is ongoing

Picayune Police detectives are investigating an apparent homicide that left a Picayune man dead on Tuesday night.

At around 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 28, 2018, Picayune Police detectives met with family members of Justin Nixon. Nixon’s family told detectives they had heard rumors that Justin Nixon had been shot and they were concerned of his whereabouts because no one had heard from him, according to Picayune Police Department Assistant Police Chief Jeremy Magri during a discussion with WRJW News.

Detectives began patrolling the area talking to people to see if anyone had heard from Nixon. At 3:55pm, Dispatch received a call stating there was a body lying near the back yard of a residence at 203 Jarrell Street. When detectives arrived at the location, they found the deceased body of Justin Nixon, age 28, of 803 Weems Street, Picayune.

Nixon’s body appeared to have a gunshot wound in the upper torso area. Detectives secured the crime scene and notified ambulance service and the coroner. While investigating what is believed to be a homicide, detectives learned that Nixon had been involved in a physical altercation between 6:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, February 27, with his cousin Malcolm Nixon, age 27, of 304 Jarrell Street at Malcolm’s residence.

Detectives learned that after the altercation with his cousin, Justin Nixon had fled on foot. It is unknown exactly where Justin Nixon was shot, but it is believed that he was shot between 203 Jarrell Street and 304 Jarrell Street around the timeframe that the altercation between the cousins had occurred. Also during that time, Magri said that Dispatch had received a call reporting a gunshot in the area of Jarrell Street in the same timeframe.

Detectives secured a search warrant and went to Malcolm Nixon’s residence at 304 Jarrell Street. During the search of Malcolm’s room, they located a green leafy substance believed to be Marijuana in Malcolm’s room. Malcolm Nixon was not at home during the search of the residence.

Detectives reached out to contact Malcolm Nixon to speak with him about the incident. A short time later, he came to the Criminal Justice Center and spoke with detectives about the incident. He was taken into custody for possession of Marijuana, but was not charged with murder. Malcolm Nixon is still a person of interest in this case. The Mississippi Department of Corrections has placed a hold on Malcolm Nixon and he remains in custody according to Magri.

Justin Nixon’s body was sent to Jackson for an autopsy. Detectives are still actively investigating the case. Anyone with information about the case are asked to contact the Picayune Police Department at 601-798-7411 or Crime Stoppers at 601-799-CLUE (2583) if you would like to remain anonymous.

Magri said that Chief Bryan Dawsey would like to thank the Pearl River County Sheriff’s Department for responding and the scene and helping secure the area and with crowd control.


bottom of page